If you’re taking your first steps with Joomla! then it can be difficult to know where to start. Joomla! is a popular content management system (CMS) that allows you to easily create great-looking websites and online applications. Like many open-source applications, Joomla! is completely free to use.
The HostPapa knowledge base includes a wide assortment of guides to help you get up and running with Joomla!
How to install Joomla!
For an introduction to the Joomla! content management system and to learn how to install the platform on your HostPapa hosting account, check out the following guides:
Learn to use Joomla!
Before you get hands on with Joomla! take a look at these support documents that will help you understand common terms and features used in the platform.
Customize your Joomla! website
Before you launch your site, you should customize its template so it better represents your brand or personal preferences. You should also use search engine friendly URLs, to ensure the site can be found using popular search engines. The following guides will show you how:
- What are Joomla! Templates?
- What are Joomla! themes and how do I change my site theme
- How to optimize your Joomla! site for search engines
- Free tools for managing your Joomla! SEO
Build your content
If you are used to an alternative publishing platform such as WordPress or Drupal, you’ll find that Joomla! offers similar features but uses different terminology and workflows. Get to grips with post editing and publishing features with the following guides:
- What are Joomla! menus?
- What are Joomla! modules?
- What are Joomla! Categories?
- How to manage featured items in Joomla!
- How to insert a heading into a Joomla! article
- How to add a menu item which points to an article in Joomla!
- How to add an image to a Joomla! article
- How to leave space between images and text in Joomla!
- How to embed a YouTube video in a Joomla! article
Extensions allow you to add additional features to your base Joomla! installation. Discover how to install extensions and learn about the Joomla! Extensions Directory.
Keep Joomla! secure
As a popular content management system (CMS), platforms like Joomla! can be targeted by hackers seeking easy ways to take control of hundreds of thousands of sites using remote code exploits and other techniques. Joomla! administrators should take steps to secure their installations at all times and follow best practices when configuring and managing the platform.
Find out more in the following guides:
- Security checklist for your Joomla! installation
- Site administration for Joomla!
- How to recover your Joomla! website using SiteLock
- What to do when your Joomla! website is hacked
- How to reset your Joomla! password
For further questions, or if you need help, please open a support ticket from your HostPapa Dashboard. Follow this link to learn how.