Freelance writing has become a lucrative and flexible career option for wordsmiths and storytellers. As more businesses and publications recognize the value of compelling content, the demand for skilled freelance writers continues to soar.
However, establishing a strong and distinctive domain as a freelance writer is paramount in a field where competition is fierce and opportunities plentiful.
This helpful article will not only go through the most effective methods of building your freelance writer domain name, but it’ll also showcase some platforms to start with fast.
- Choose Your Base: Selecting The Perfect Platform For Your Freelance Writing Website
- Personalize Your Online Space: Adding A Custom Domain To Your Writer’s Website
- Set The Stage: Choosing The Right Theme For Your Freelance Writing Site
- Make An Impact: Creating A Captivating Headline For Your Writer’s Website
- Welcome Visitors With Flair: Creating An Engaging Homepage
- Let Them Get To Know You: Building Your About Page
- Showcase Your Talent: Drafting An Irresistible Services Page
- Highlight Your Expertise: Building An Impressive Writing Portfolio
- Stay Connected: Crafting A Contact Form Or Page
- Boost Visibility: Optimizing Your Freelance Writer Website For Search Engines
Creating Your Freelance Writing Website: A Step-By-Step Guide
Here is a step-by-step guide on how to create your freelance writing website. Let’s start!
Choose Your Base: Selecting The Perfect Platform For Your Freelance Writing Website
Before diving into the process of creating your ideal freelance writing website, you must first select the foundation upon which to build it.
The exciting news is that you won’t need to delve into coding expertise, as many excellent options are available for creating simple, easily manageable websites.
Three of the most popular platforms for freelance writing websites include HostPapa, WordPress, and, last but not least, the free WordPress.com version that can be explored for free.
HostPapa offers an all-in-one solution for creating and publishing your new website in just minutes. Here’s what you get:
- User-friendly website builder. Craft a stunning website without any design experience. Our easy-to-use Website Builder empowers you to create a professional online presence effortlessly.
- Versatile templates. Select from a vast library of mobile-friendly templates featuring flexible designs and layouts catering to your needs.
- Rapid publishing. With just one click, you can publish your website and make it accessible worldwide. No complicated steps or tech wizardry are required. It’s that simple!
- An optimized website experience. HostPapa’s servers use the latest tech, ensuring your website loads fast and has all the security features enabled.
Take the first step now and watch your freelance writing business flourish. Create, publish, and optimize your website effortlessly with our comprehensive platform.
WordPress stands as a beloved contender in the world of website platforms. It commands a staggering 35% of the internet. Its popularity largely stems from its versatility and extensive customization capabilities, complemented by a relatively user-friendly interface.
With WordPress, you gain access to an extensive library of themes and an array of options to tailor your website to your liking. As you will familiarize yourself with WordPress, its enhanced flexibility will allow you to mould your website into something uniquely personal and distinctive.
WordPress.com: A Simple but Limited Version of the Famous CMS
Millions of entrepreneurs have entrusted WordPress to build their websites. It is a contemporary platform that equips you with the tools to construct a modern, elegant freelance website, portfolio, or online store effortlessly.
For those less enamoured with technology, WordPress presents an enticing choice. It boasts a user-friendly, drag-and-drop interface based on the famous new Blocks, with a minimalist design philosophy, including web hosting.
While it permits more intricate code to be incorporated for customization, the surface experience is as straightforward as selecting a template and injecting your own content. You can even start for free before embarking on a paid plan.
For those who want an in-depth look at WordPress.com vs a more streamlined and worry-free hosting plan like Managed WordPress, we’ve made a great article exploring their features and differences on our blog.
Personalize Your Online Space: Adding A Custom Domain To Your Writer’s Website
If you aspire to establish a prominent online presence and attract potential clients, relying on a free, platform-based domain won’t suffice. It’s time to consider investing in a custom domain.
Fortunately, acquiring custom domain names has recently become quite affordable, often featuring deals that bring the annual cost of your very own .com domain down to less than $10. This investment is undeniably worthwhile.
To secure your custom domain, follow these steps:
- Select a domain provider. You can use the domain name search tool to check if your desired domain is available, and if so, you can proceed with the purchase.
- Connect your domain to your website platform. The process of linking your new custom domain to your website platform varies depending on your chosen platform.
While this process is generally straightforward, don’t hesitate to contact your website or domain name provider for assistance if you encounter any difficulties. They can guide you to ensure your custom domain seamlessly integrates with your website.
Set The Stage: Choosing The Right Theme For Your Freelance Writing Site
Once you’ve successfully linked your custom domain to your chosen website provider, your freelance writing journey takes on a more tangible form. The next step involves customizing the visual aesthetics of your website by selecting a theme.
This is a fantastic opportunity to elevate your freelance writing website from a basic starting point to an immersive experience reflecting your identity as a writer and freelancer.
You can opt for a sleek, minimalist design or infuse your unique style with signature colours and patterns. Themes make this transformation effortless, sparing you from the need to tinker with the core framework of your website.
All three platforms we’ve discussed provide ample options for customization and themes:
- WordPress. It boasts a vibrant community of theme providers and WordPress theme marketplaces. Here, you can access various themes tailored to every website type and style.
- WordPress.com. It offers built-in themes, allowing you to easily alter the look and feel of your website without needing to search elsewhere. The biggest downside is the lack of creating your own theme from scratch.
- HostPapa Website Builder. It also offers hundreds of free templates to start with, enabling you to tweak your website’s design using a drag-and-drop editor. It’s important to note that the Start version of HostPapa’s Website Builder comes with every shared hosting plan, so you can either try that or simply load WordPress and start creating!
Make An Impact: Creating A Captivating Headline For Your Writer’s Website
Once you’ve discovered the perfect domain name and picked your hosting plan or website builder, it’s time to shift your focus toward the heart of your freelance writing website: the content.
A crucial starting point is crafting an attention-grabbing headline.
Your headline serves as your visitors’ initial point of contact, capturing their attention as soon as they arrive on your page. It’s your golden opportunity to ignite their curiosity and entice them to delve deeper into your story, approach, portfolio, and services.
Like your chosen theme, the right headline effectively distinguishes you from other freelancers within your niche. We understand the immense power of words; in this context, your headline can potentially persuade your readers to linger.
Consider these crucial elements while creating a headline for your website:
- Results delivered. Highlight the tangible results you’ve achieved for your clients. Demonstrating the value you bring can immediately captivate your audience.
- Address pain points. Identify the pain points your potential clients commonly face. Tailor your headline to show that you understand their challenges and are here to provide solutions.
- Be unique. Showcase what sets you apart from the competition. Whether it’s your unique approach, writing style, or industry expertise, make it clear why you’re the right choice.
You can always reach out to the help of an Essay Writer, a professional writer, or a team of writers with diverse expertise.
For example, if you have no time on your hands, our Do It For Me (DIFM) service creates not just your site but helps with every copywriting task, which is a huge timesaver for many individuals and businesses.
Welcome Visitors With Flair: Creating An Engaging Homepage
The homepage of your freelance writing website holds a pivotal role as it’s often the first destination for potential clients. Thus, crafting an impactful online presence is an ideal starting point.
Your homepage should aim to achieve several key objectives:
- Capture attention. It should immediately grab the visitor’s attention, making them curious about your offer.
- Showcase your identity. Use your homepage to convey your identity, highlighting who you are as a writer and freelancer.
- Motivate action. Motivate potential clients to take action, whether it’s getting in touch with you, booking a service, or making a purchase.
- Engage and connect. Provide compelling reasons for visitors to stay, explore further, and form a connection with you.
The approach to constructing a homepage can vary:
- Long landing page style. Some opt for a longer, scrolling homepage resembling a landing page. This format typically includes testimonials, evidence of results, detailed service descriptions, and a contact form to round it off persuasively.
- Short and sweet. Others choose a shorter homepage with a striking hero image of themselves, accompanied by concise information about their services. This style often incorporates strategically placed buttons to guide visitors to explore other website sections.
Ultimately, the design and content of your homepage should align with your unique style and the message you wish to convey to potential clients, ensuring that it effectively achieves these critical objectives.
Let Them Get To Know You: Building Your About Page
Indeed, clients typically prefer to know more about you before considering hiring your services. While your results and portfolio are undoubtedly essential, nurturing a strong writer-client relationship hinges on creating a compelling About page.
Your About page serves as a window into your persona, offering potential clients insights into who you are as an individual and writer. It’s crucial to strike a balance between these two dimensions.
By doing so, you enable clients to connect with you not only over your shared passions, like a favourite sports team or dessert but also appreciate your professional prowess.
Given the creative nature of our industry, don’t shy away from infusing some personality and fun into your About page.
Start crafting your story if you’re uncertain about how to embark on this self-presentation journey. Share how you discovered your passion for writing, recount your achievements thus far, and provide a glimpse into the experiences that have shaped you personally and professionally.
This narrative approach makes the task more manageable and adds a human touch that resonates with potential clients.
Showcase Your Talent: Drafting An Irresistible Services Page
Your website’s homepage grabs attention, and the About page fosters a connection, but your services page truly seals the deal.
Craft a services page that clearly outlines your value, the scope of your offerings, and how your expertise can drive tangible results for your clients.
An exceptional services page serves as a quick litmus test for potential clients. It enables them to swiftly determine if you align with their needs, whether you can provide the specific content or copywriting services they seek, or if your niche expertise matches their requirements.
By including pricing information, you also empower them to gauge the affordability of your services.
Picture your services page as a warm invitation to potential clients. It’s akin to an enticing restaurant menu, where you can present your offerings in a way that leaves them eager to indulge in what you bring to the table.
Highlight Your Expertise: Building An Impressive Writing Portfolio
A well-crafted writing portfolio can be a game-changer in winning over potential clients and showcasing your skills.
Create a compelling portfolio showcasing the cream of the crop from your work. Instead of overwhelming potential clients with an exhaustive list of every piece, highlight your most outstanding work. Your portfolio should serve as a showcase of your expertise, not a complete archive.
Selecting only your best pieces allows potential clients to quickly and easily access the highest calibre of your work without the need for extensive sifting. This approach saves them time and ensures they see your talents’ quality and variety at a glance.
Your writing portfolio should be a dynamic, ever-growing collection that reflects your evolution as a freelance writer and showcases your talent, adaptability, and impact on clients’ success.
Offering filtering and sorting options makes it easy for potential clients to explore samples relevant to their needs and is a huge plus in terms of website design.
Stay Connected: Crafting A Contact Form Or Page
It is essential to make it easy for potential clients to get in touch with you. Here’s a guide on creating a simple and effective contact form or page.
When designing your form, be sure to incorporate vital elements such as:
- Name. Requesting the name of the person reaching out adds a personal touch to your interactions.
- Company. If relevant to your potential client, including a space for their company name can help you tailor your responses effectively.
- Email address. It is a fundamental component of communication, ensuring you have a direct means of contact.
- Text box. Include a text box where potential clients can briefly describe their inquiry or project requirements. This information is essential for understanding their needs.
- Minimum project value. If you have a minimum project value, consider mentioning it in the form to filter out inquiries that don’t meet your criteria. Alternatively, you can create a dropdown menu where individuals can select their budget range when making an inquiry. This streamlines the client filtering process and helps you provide more accurate responses.
Keep in mind that an intuitive and informative contact form enhances user experience and facilitates efficient communication between you and potential clients.
Boost Visibility: Optimizing Your Freelance Writer Website For Search Engines
Optimizing your website for search engines is a powerful way to attract the right type of clients and enhance your online presence. While SEO might initially seem complex, it essentially revolves around making it easy for people to find you when they search for relevant terms related to your services. Here’s a simplified guide to get you started on SEO:
- Keyword research. To increase the likelihood of potential clients finding you, it is important to conduct research and select appropriate keywords. Those keywords are the phrases or words that most clients will be searching for on search engines.
- Consider local SEO (If applicable). Optimizing your business for local search engines can be more effective in generating leads than global SEO, as it brings potential customers closer to your location.
- Build backlinks. Without backlinks, you can not promote your website on Google.
While competition can be fierce in the world of SEO, targeting less competitive keywords can still help you gain visibility. For instance, consider long-tail keywords specific to your niche or location.
Building your freelance writer website is an ongoing journey, and it’s definitely possible.
It’s about continuous self-improvement, adaptability, and staying attuned to the industry’s evolving demands. Dedication and the knowledge you’ve gained here enable you to create a website that will thrive.
So, take your uniqueness with you and embark on a path to an excellent freelance writer website.
Eliza Medley is an experienced writer and psychologist. She is actively interested in management, new technologies, and writing motivational articles. She also loves catching up on modern trends. She inspires people to learn new things and reach new heights with her work. You may feel free to reach out to her at GuestpostingNinja@gmail.com or for collaboration suggestions.