By submitting your WordPress blog to Apple News you can monetize it. Your readers will get an opportunity to read your blog with the content from their other favorite websites. This article shows you how you can add your WordPress blog to Apple News.
Things to know before you get started
Apple News application offers a single platform to allow users to read news and blog articles in their Apple devices. Apple News is a centralized location that allows a better reading experience for users.
The Apple News program for publishers allows you to add your WordPress Blog to Apple News channel and monetize your content by showing advertisements.
The monetization program is in beta mode as of now. It is available in Australia, the United States, and the UK. It will take a couple of weeks for your application to get reviewed.
Please note that this guide is meant for self-hosted WordPress blogs. WordPress.com blogs are not eligible for this.
Adding Your WordPress Site to Apple News
- Visit the News Publisher app on the iCloud website. Log in with your Apple ID.
- The News Publisher terms of service appear on the screen. Click on I Agree and then on Submit.
- Fill the form that appears on screen with the publisher’s information. Click Next.
- A form titled Set up your channel appears on the screen. Set up your channel by providing information about your website. Click Submit to proceed.
- Upload a type-based logo for your channel. This is your logo with your site name in the readable text format. The file size of the logo should be less than 2 MB. The image should have a transparent background.
- You will be asked to choose between the Apple News or RSS Format. Choose the Apple News Format.
- Using the RSS feed option will not allow you to monetize your content in Apple News. The RSS feed won’t let you use Apple News as a publisher, preview before you publish, add team members or get analytics.
- Finish the application and click on the Sign Up for Apple News Format.
- A thank you page will appear when you are done.
After your application has been approved, you can proceed with the next step.
Submitting Your Articles to Apple News
After your application is approved by Apple News, you can finally submit articles from your WordPress to the Apple News app.
The first article you create for Apple News has to be manually submitted via your News Publisher account on iCloud. Quality is essential for Apple, so keep in mind that your first article will be manually reviewed by the Apple News team. This step too might take up to 1-2 weeks.
After your article is approved, Apple News will automatically publish your WordPress blog posts to Apple News. Here’s what you need to do:
- Install and activate the Publish to Apple News plugin.
- Visit Settings >> Apple News to configure the plugin settings.
- Enter the channel ID, API key and API key secret. This information can be obtained by signing into your Apple News Publisher account.
- Select the post types that you want to publish in the Apple News format. In most cases, you will only be able to select Posts type.
- Configure the visual appearance of the different elements in your generated articles. Customize the settings if necessary.
- Click on the Save Changes button when you are done.
Now, Publish to Apple News plugin will publish your article in the Apple News Format.
For further questions, or if you need help, please open a support ticket from your HostPapa Dashboard. Click here to learn how to do it.
María is an enthusiast of cinema, literature and digital communication. As Content Coordinator at HostPapa, she focuses on the publication of content for the blog and social networks, organizing the translations, as well as writing and editing articles for the KB.