In this article, we’ll show you how to update SRV records in your HostPapa cPanel. Need to create an SRV record? Please read our tutorial on how to create a new SRV record.
What is an SRV record?
A Service record (SRV record) is a data specification in DNS that defines the location, such as the hostname and port number, of specified service servers.
Note: Before making DNS updates, please confirm the provider’s name that currently manages your domain name’s name servers. You may quickly check the current name servers in public WHOIS or HostPapa Dashboard > My Domains > Whois Lookup. The HostPapa name servers are found inside the welcome email received at signup or via Dashboard > My Support > Welcome Emails. The DNS updates should be made at the provider of the name servers for the changes to take effect.
How to update SRV records
1) Log in to your HostPapa dashboard.
2) Select My cPanel from the navigation bar at the top of the page.
3) In the Domains section, select the Zone Editor option.
4) Locate the domain name that you want to edit and click Manage.
5) Look for the DNS that you want to update and click Edit.
6) Ensure that the type you’re editing is an SRV record.
7) Enter the valid zone name, priority, weight, port, and target:
8) Click Save Record.
Important: Please double-check that you have entered the correct information into each field. DNS records are very sensitive, and even a tiny mistake can cause problems that may affect your live website, email, etc.
Please be advised that the propagation may take 1-2 hours to complete.
To learn how to create a new SRV record, or to read a complete guide to DNS records, check out these Knowledge Base articles:
If you need help with your HostPapa account, please open a support ticket from your dashboard.