What is a subdomain and how to create one with HostPapa? Keep reading this support article to learn all about subdomains and how to create them through cPanel.
A subdomain helps you separate sections of your site that may need a dedicated URL. Let’s start with the basics:
What is a subdomain?
While a domain is an address for a website, a subdomain is the address of a specific website section.
For example, imagine you own a website focused on soccer. You’ve registered a domain called soccer.ca. You then decide to open an online store selling soccer clothing. By creating a subdomain for the store, your users can access the store using store.soccer.ca, for example.
How to create a subdomain
Watch this video tutorial to learn how to create a subdomain in My cPanel, or follow these steps:
1. Log in to your HostPapa Dashboard and go to My cPanel.
2. Scroll down to the Domains section and click Domains.
3. Click on Create A New Domain.
4. Under Domain, enter your desired subdomain name. Your subdomain must have a name followed by a period and your domain name. For example, if the domain is mktest.net, the subdomain will be test.mktest.net.
5. A subdomain name is entered automatically into the Document Root field along with the main domain name. This is the folder that will be used to hold your site files for the subdomain. You can click the Document Root field to edit the folder name.
6. Click Submit.
You can now upload and build the files located in the subdomain.
After that, you can upload and build the files located in the subdomain.
If you need help with your HostPapa domains or subdomains, please open a support ticket from your dashboard.