In this article, we will give you an overview of the requirements for transferring or registering a .US domain at HostPapa.
How to register a domain name with HostPapa
Certain domain names are not available for registration with the .US extension. To meet ICANN and gTLD procedures, all existing TLDs and two-character country codes are unable to be registered, including:
- All domains, of any length, beginning with 18xx, or 1-8xx, or 8xx (x is any number from 0 to 9).
- All domains beginning with nxx or 1nxx or 1-nxx followed by exactly seven numbers, not including hyphens (n is any number from 2 to 9 and x is any number from 0 to 9).
- All domains beginning with xxxxx (x is any number from 0 to 9).
Some examples of reserved, unavailable names include:
Some examples of available, non-reserved names include:
To register a .US TLD, you need to indicate the use of the domain by choosing one of three U.S. Nexus categories below and certify that it will have a “bona fide presence in the United States”.
Nexus Category 1
A natural person (i) who is a United States citizen, (ii) a permanent resident of the United States of America or any of its possessions or territories, or (iii) whose primary place of domicile is in the United States of America or any of its possessions.
Nexus Category 2
A United States entity or organization that is (i) incorporated within one of the fifty (50) U.S. states, the District of Columbia, or any of the United States possessions or territories or organized, or otherwise constituted under the laws of a state of the United States of America, the District of Columbia or any of its possessions or (including a federal, state, or local government of the United States, or a political subdivision thereof, and unincorporated organizations based in the United States).
Nexus Category 3
An entity or organization (including a federal, state, or local government of the United States, or political subdivision) that has a bona fide presence in the United States or any of its possessions or territories, including the following conditions.
- If a foreign entity, the applicant must state the country of citizenship;
- For compliance with Nexus requirements, the applicant must regularly sell goods, provide services, and/or engage in business activities, trade, or other business (commercial or non-commercial including not-for-profit) relations in the United States.
- Maintains an office or other property within the United States.
To check prices or register one of these domains, visit our domain page or purchase directly from your HostPapa Dashboard by clicking on My Domains, then Register New Domain to open a Secure Order Form.
How to transfer a domain name to HostPapa
Before you request to transfer your domain name to HostPapa, there are a few steps you should complete to ensure a smooth transfer:
- Unlock your domain name at your current registrar. Each domain registrar may have different steps to unlock the domain. If you can’t find this option in the general settings, please contact your domain registrar.
- Obtain an authorization code (EPP Key, also known as Auth-Code or transfer code). This code is necessary for the transfer and should be provided by your current registrar.
- Make sure the administrative contact for your domain name has a valid, published email address in the WHOIS database (Note: updating any admin contact information at this stage may lock the domain). Our registrar, OpenSRS, will send an email to this address immediately after you purchase the transfer. The email will contain the verification link and Transfer Key that you’ll need to authorize the transfer in your HostPapa account.
- ICANN regulations prohibit transferring domain names registered or previously transferred in the last 60 days.
- Please ensure enough time to initiate the domain transfer before its expiration/renewal date. Transfers can take up to seven days to complete. To prevent your domain from becoming non-functional during the transfer, we recommend making this request at least two weeks before your domain’s expiry date.
If you need help transferring or registering your domain name with HostPapa, please open a support ticket from your dashboard.