Regular website maintenance is one of the keys to the success of any website. Staying on top of the chores of website care can improve your search engine ranking, keep customers engaged, increase business, attract attention, boost security, and keep your site running smoothly at all times.
Here are some website maintenance tips to add to your to-do list:
If you’re a blogger:
- Check for broken links
- Verify that your meta content is correct
- Verify blog tags
- Keep adding and refreshing content; new content is excellent for page ranking (Google likes updates!)
If you’re a photographer:
- Update images; remove those with few or no hits
- Optimize images: Reduce page load time by compressing or reducing the size of images
- Ensure all images have alt tags
If you run an eCommerce website:
- Monitor comments; clean up negative feedback, and get rid of any spam
- Ensure correct listings and pricing
- Run seasonal specials
- Offer a promotion or coupon
- Spice up your store with new photos
If you’re a website owner of any kind:
- Refresh all content regularly, including photos and images
- Regularly refresh and secure any backups you keep on external drives (learn more in our Knowledge Base article How HostPapa Automated Website Backup works)
- Keep your scripts up to date (Hint: Learn more about updating your scripts here)
- Check to ensure all forms are working, including contact and comments forms
- Ensure SEO best practices are used, including meta content and alt tags
- Test all changes in multiple browser types to ensure compatibility
- Test for mobile device accessibility
Don’t forget to keep all your contact and billing information up to date at your web host!
Make website maintenance a regular part of your schedule, and you’ll likely have a faster, more user-friendly and accessible website.
If you need help with your HostPapa account, please open a support ticket from your dashboard.