To change MX records in Google Workspace (formally G Suite), follow the steps below:
Step 1: Sign in to your domain host
- Open the Google Workspace Wizard and don’t close it.
- Open a new tab and go to the Google Domains site.
- Click Sign In in the upper right corner.
- Sign in with your email address or phone number and Google Domains password.
- Click Next if you know your account information. If you don’t, click Forgot password.
Step 2: Go to your DNS records
- Click Configure DNS on the Domains dashboard beside the domain you want to verify for Google services.
- Scroll down to the Custom resource records section.
Step 3: Delete your existing MX records
- Locate the MX records under the Custom resource records section.
- Click Delete next to each MX record.
- Repeat the process until you’ve deleted all MX records.
Step 4: Add your HostPapa records to Google Workspace
You can find the HostPapa records you need to add to Google Workspace in this Knowledge Base article.
- From the Type list under Custom resource records, select MX.
- Enter the corresponding value in the Name field.
- Leave the default value in the TTL field.
- Enter the rest of the information where applicable.
- Click on the + icon.
To verify your domain:
- Find the unique MX verification record provided by the Google Workspace Setup Wizard.
- Copy and paste the entire record that ends in mx-verification.google.com in the Value/Answer/Destination/Target column.
- The records priority should be set to Low or to 15 or greater.
6. Finally, click Add.
Step 5: Tell Google to find your new MX records
- Go back to the Google Workspace Setup Wizard window from Step 1.
- In the wizard, click through the confirming steps.
- Click on Verify, or I have completed these steps. This tells Google to look for your new MX records.
- It could take several hours for the records to update, and you may not get new email messages immediately. In the meantime, you will keep receiving messages with your old email provider.
- If the MX records setup validation in progress message appears in the Admin console for more than a few hours, confirm that you entered the correct MX address records and priorities. Then, revisit the configurations to make sure it’s correct.
- To review Google’s article on these steps, check out this link.
If you need help with your HostPapa account, please open a support ticket from your dashboard.