Export the Database
You can find a video tutorial for exporting databases and tables with phpMyAdmin here: https://www.hostpapa.com/knowledgebase/tutorials/demos/phpmyadmin-voice/phpma-export.html
You can also follow these steps.
- Open phpMyAdmin.
- Click the name of the database to export in the list down the left side. The page will refresh and show information about the selected database.
- Click the “Export” tab. The page will refresh and show export options.
- In the “Export” group, the “MySQL” option should be selected if it is not selected already.
- In the “SQL Options” section, click the checkboxes beside both “Structure” and “Data”.
- Click the “Save as file” checkbox at the bottom of the options.
- Click the “Go” button.
You will be prompted by your Internet browser to save the file on your own hard drive. Select a location you can easily remember.
Once the download is complete, you will have a copy of your database on your own computer.
Import the Database
This assumes you have a new (but empty) database already created on the server. If you are importing to your HostPapa account, here is an article with instructions on how to create a new database. You must do this in order to have a database to select as the destination for the imported data:
Here is a tutorial video for importing databases and tables with phpMyAdmin: https://www.hostpapa.com/knowledgebase/tutorials/demos/phpmyadmin-voice/phpma-import.html
You can also follow these steps:
- Open phpMyAdmin.
- Click the name of the database which will be receiving the imported information. The page will refresh and show information about the selected database.
- Click the “Import” tab.
- Click the “Browse” button in the “File to import” section.
- You will be prompted by your browser to locate the database file on your own computer.
- Once the database file has been located and selected, the “Location of the text file” field will populate with the path to the database file. Click the “Go” button.
Once the file finishes uploaded, the data and structure it contains will be immediately available for use in the database.
Other phpMyAdmin Video Tutorials
If you are looking for more information on what you can do with phpMyAdmin, you can find video tutorials (including the two linked above) on this page: https://www.hostpapa.com/knowledgebase/tutorials/Tutorials_phpMyAdmin.shtml