Adding new Moodle users
New Moodle users can be added by administrators or managers. Log in to Moodle and go to Site Administration > Users > Accounts > Add a new user.
There are five sections on the Add a new user page. Required fields are marked with an exclamation mark in a red circle. When you’ve completed each section, click Create user.
In the General section, complete the following fields:
- Username – This is a unique name the user will enter to log in to Moodle. By default, usernames can contain lowercase letters, numbers, hyphens (-), underscores (_), periods (.), and at signs (@).
- Choose an authentication method – This is the authentication method used to verify that the user has permission to log in to Moodle. For user accounts created by an administrator or manager, select Manual accounts. To disable a user login, select No login.
- Suspended account – Select to disable the user account. Disabled accounts can’t log in and don’t receive automated emails.
- Generate password and notify user – Select to automatically create a password and email the user with instructions on how to log in and change the password.
- New password – Enter the user’s initial account password. Users can change their passwords in User menu > Preferences.
- Force password change – Select to force the user to change their password the next time they log in.
- First name – The user’s first name. This is displayed on the user profile, forum posts, and reports.
- Surname – The user’s last name. This is displayed on the user profile, forum posts, and reports.
- Email address – The user’s email address. Notices from Moodle will be sent to this address.
- Email display – Select when the user’s email is displayed. Options are Hide my email address from everyone, Allow everyone to see my email address, and Allow only other course members to see my address.
- City/town – The user’s city or town.
- Select a country – The user’s country.
- Timezone – Select the user’s local timezone.
- Preferred theme – The user’s preferred theme.
- Description – A description of the user. This will be displayed on the user’s profile.
In the User picture section, complete the following fields:
- Current picture – If a user picture has been uploaded, it’s displayed here.
- Delete picture – Select to delete the current picture.
- New picture – Drag an image file to the upload box to add it to the user profile.
- Picture description – Enter a brief description of the picture.
In the Additional names section, enter the following fields:
- First name – phonetic – The phonetic spelling of the user’s first name.
- Surname – phonetic – The phonetic spelling of the user’s last name.
- Middle name – The user’s middle name.
- Alternate name – If the user has an alternate name, enter it here.
- List of interests – Enter the user’s interests, separated by commas. These interests will be displayed as tags on the user’s profile.
Enter any online or social media contact details.
For information about uploading multiple users at once, see Upload users on the Moodle documentation website.
If you have any questions or need help, you can always contact HostPapa Support by opening a support ticket. Details about how to open a support ticket are here.