5 Tips for An Excellent Web Design
- August 7, 2013 12:00 pm
- Web Design
Ensuring that your website is well designed is essential. Think about it – websites are a visual medium. People enjoy looking at things that look nice, not sloppy and messy. The design of your website is just as important as the content you put on it. Consider the points below about web design to ensure your visitors don’t leave your site too quickly.
- Style and Professional Design The key point to think about when choosing a style for your website is to determine what message you want to convey. The style you choose should reflect your message. Also consider who your target audience is and how you want your website to look and feel. The style of your website sets the tone for your business. Keep in mind to stay consistent and have the same style across your site. Having a professional design also helps build credibility with your visitors. You don’t want to look like an amateur!
- Layout and Navigation We’ve all visited a website that had a horrible layout and wasn’t fun to navigate. What tends to happen? You get frustrated because you can’t find what you’re looking for, causing you to abandon the site. You don’t want users to experience this on your site so make sure they can easily find what they need. Take into consideration where to place graphics and where your navigation bar should be located.
- Speed Nowadays, nobody has time to wait around for a site to load. This is especially true for mobile versions of your site. We’ve all experienced trying to view a site that’s taking too long. We all end up closing it and moving on to other sites because we don’t want to wait anymore. More content, graphics, and data will lead to slow loading times. Try to take the less is more approach. Keep your pages simple by going easy on the graphics and content. Your visitors will definitely notice the difference.
- Search Engine Friendly A site that is not optimized for search engines may not appear in the results for any keyword query. You don’t want this to happen because that means the site that you’ve been working so hard on isn’t being viewed as much as it should be. Making your site search engine friendly involves many aspects including quick page loading times, validating your HTML code, and making sure that your site is compatible with all web browsers as well as mobile devices. This will help give you good rankings with search engines so that people are able to find your site easily. It does take time so be patient. Don’t expect to be on the first page of search engine results right away. But if you keep working at it, making your site search engine friendly will attract more visitors and keep them coming back.
- Avoid Clutter Putting as much information as you can into a little space will not entice your customers to keep coming back to your site. Try not to clutter your site with too much information and graphics. If your visitors don’t have time to wait for a page to load (as we mentioned above), then they definitely don’t have time to read a lot of content. We all skim when it comes to reading content on the web, so it should be simple and easy to read. Also, be careful not to overwhelm visitors right from the beginning with your homepage. Keep the content simple and direct users to different parts of your site for additional information.
These are only some of the many web design tips to consider when creating a website or updating your current site. Are there any tips and tricks that you have? Post them below in the comments. We’d love to hear them!